ALFRED N’DIAYE’S protracted move to Real Betis was finally confirmed yesterday, as Sunderland offloaded another player considered surplus to requirements.
Sunderland accepted an offer from Betis earlier this month for N’Diaye, yet the move looked to have fallen through when the Senegal international failed to agree personal terms with the club where he spent the final six months of last season on loan.
But as SportMail reported earlier this week, N’Diaye’s agent had entered into a second round of talks and an agreement was finally reached in the early hours of Thursday morning.
N’Diaye’s capture was confirmed by Betis yesterday, with the midfielder penning a five-year contract, in a deal which could eventually be worth up to £3million for Sunderland, if the Spanish side return to La Liga.
“I always said I would not mind playing with Betis in the Second Division, but I am also convinced that it will only be a season,” said N’Diaye.
N’Diaye follows David Moberg Karlsson out of the Sunderland exit door, with the Black Cats still looking to offload Cabral, Modibo Diakite and Danny Graham.
Despite N’Diaye featuring throughout pre-season, Sunderland boss Gus Poyet decided back in January that the 24-year-old did not form part of his long-term plans.
Poyet tellingly opted not to recall N’Diaye from Turkish side Eskisehirspor at the turn of the year and sanctioned his move to Betis instead.
N’Diaye would have been happy for a second chance at Sunderland after being sent out on loan just six months into his Cats career by ex-boss Paolo Di Canio. But there was to be no way back for the powerful midfielder, who made just 16 appearances for Sunderland after being signed for £3.7million by Martin O’Neill in January 2013.