REAL BETIS will persist in their attempts to sign Sunderland midfielder Alfred N’Diaye, the Spanish club’s president has pledged.
Betis have been in talks with Sunderland over a £1.5million move for N’Diaye after the Senegal international spent the second half of last season on loan in Spain.
But as the Echo reported last week, N’Diaye has reservations over returning to relegated Betis and ideally wants a second chance at Sunderland.
“He does not want to play in the Spanish Second Division. He would prefer to play in the Premier League with Sunderland,” said his brother and agent, Bakary N’Diaye, who is due to hold discussions with the Black Cats hierarchy this week.
But despite those indications, plus speculation in Spain that La Liga outfit Malaga are now interested, Betis president Manuel Dominguez Platas insists they will maintain their pursuit of the 24-year-old.
“He has proved himself to be a quality player and he could be of help to us to achieve our goal,” he said.
“It is complicated, but we are still working on it, we haven’t given up.
“N’Diaye has not been transferred nor has Sunderland made any indication that they want him, so all options are open.
“It is complicated but not impossible. We will not relent in this effort but continue until there is nothing else we can do.”
N’Diaye was among 11 half-time substitutes in Sunderland’s opening pre-season friendly against Darlington 1883 on Saturday.
But with Modibo Diakite, Cabral, David Moberg Karlsson and Valentin Roberge all featuring in the game too, Sunderland head coach Gus Poyet admitted that some of those players will be leaving the club this summer.
“It is true that there were players involved at the weekend that we do not expect to be with us long-term,” said Poyet.