TEENAGE defensive prospect John Souttar has snubbed Sunderland’s approaches and will remain at Dundee United.
The 17-year-old centre-half is a rising star at Tannadice and Sunderland have made two bids for him, with the second, believed to be around £600,000, being accepted by United, who left the player to decide whether to stay or go.
Souttar travelled down to the Stadium of Light last month to have a look round the facilities and meet Sunderland officials.
But having thought over the potential move to Wearside, has now decided to remain on Tayside for the moment.
Now, United are expected to hold talks with the Scotland Under-19 defender hoping to extend his contract beyond the end of 2016.
Souttar’s decision to stay will please boss Jackie McNamara, who said when the interest emerged: “My advice to him would be to stay here and play football.
“We’re not standing in the way of any young player who wants to further their career but I’ve spoken with John and told him we’re here to help him.
“It’s all about seeing what’s best for his progression — like staying here and playing 150 to 200 first-team games.”
Souttar, who has attracted interest from other top-flight English clubs, has appeared seven times so far for United this season, most recently on Saturday against St Mirren, with another impressive performance.