SUNDERLAND appear to be on the verge of landing their number one striker target after reportedly agreeing a fee for Jozy Altidore.
The American international’s own website confirmed last night - before the article was later withdrawn - that a deal had been struck between Sunderland and AZ Alkmaar for Altidore and he was due for a medical on Wearside on Monday.
Alkmaar revealed earlier this week that they had rejected an opening offer from the Black Cats for Altidore, who netted 31 goals for the Dutch club last season.
But that was never going to halt Sunderland’s interest in the 23-year-old, who has been at the top of the club’s shopping list throughout the summer.
Alkmaar technical director Earnie Stewart confirmed yesterday afternoon that discussions were ongoing with Sunderland after the Black Cats’ initial failed bid.
“We’ve rejected one offer, but we are still talking with them,” said Stewart.
And the two parties now appear to have reached a conclusion, although there was no suggestion of a fee from Altidore’s website, before the article was pulled off the internet, shortly after 11pm yesterday.
Personal terms are unlikely to be a barrier towards reaching a successful resolution, with the former Hull City loanee keen on a return to the Premier League.
As SportMail reported on Thursday, Altidore was leaving the door open for an exit from AZ Alkmaar after he had been stressing his happiness in Holland at the tale end of last season.
“I have not had any problems with my team-mates and I feel fine here,” he said.
“But when you get the possibility to play somewhere else, you always have to think about it.”