MARTIN O’NEILL today confirmed he has made several inquiries for Sunderland’s transfer targets and hopes to progress those talks now the Black Cats are back in pre-season training.
Sunderland will have just one fresh face in the party that heads to South Korea on Monday for the Peace Cup, with Bosman signing Carlos Cuellar O’Neill’s sole acquisition so far this summer.
But O’Neill remains firmly in the hunt for further recruits and has approached “one or two” other clubs over the availability of their players.
Although O’Neill declined to identify those transfer targets, the Sunderland boss is keen to step up the pursuit for the players at the top of his wishlist.
O’Neill said: “I have made one or two inquiries, but I have not progressed anything greatly at this moment. That’s the best way of saying it.
“It’s early, we’ve just been back a day or two and I’ve got a couple of things floating around in my mind.
“I haven’t done anything definite. I’ve made the inquiries and said to people, keep us informed.
“But now I will start to develop things a bit more.
“I am hoping the players that I’m interested in will be attracting the interest of other teams as well. If there’s nobody interested in them, then you worry!
“There are players who I would certainly be prioritising and those are the ones I would genuinely like to get if at all possible.
“But I haven’t narrowed it down to an extent when I’m not thinking of other options.”
SEE Saturday’s Mail for full story