REAL BETIS are struggling to push through a loan deal for Alfred N’Diaye before Friday’s transfer deadline.
Sunderland midfielder N’Diaye joined Turkish side Eskisehirspor on a season-long loan last summer after surprisingly being shipped out by ex-Black Cats boss Paolo Di Canio.
Current Sunderland head coach Gus Poyet had considered recalling the 23-year-old during this month’s transfer window before ultimately deciding to leave the former Bursaspor man in Turkey.
But Eskiehirspor are reportedly in financial troubles and that has alerted interest from several clubs to N’Diaye, who made his international debut for Senegal earlier this season.
Reports in Spain last week linked Real Betis with a January move for N’Diaye and SportMail understands that the La Liga outfit hold a genuine interest in the powerful midfielder.
Betis want to take N’Diaye on loan until the end of the season - essentially taking over the terms of the temporary deal, in a similar arrangement to the one Championship sides Nottingham Forest and Bolton are attempting to do with Hull over Sunderland frontman Danny Graham.
But sources close to N’Diaye have indicated that Betis are struggling to overcome the hurdles needed to push through a move before the transfer window slams shut and he is expected to remain in Turkey for the remainder of the campaign.
Poyet has made up his mind that N’Diaye won’t be brought back to Sunderland though, even if the Black Cats miss out on midfield targets Liam Bridcutt and Ever Banega.
Meanwhile, Modibo Diakite’s agent claims it is “50-50” whether the Sunderland centre-half will return to Serie A before Friday’s deadline.
SportMail reported last week how Poyet had confirmed that Diakite, who started Saturday’s FA Cup fourth round win over Kidderminster, and fellow summer signing Valentin Roberge could leave the Stadium of Light this month.
Diakite has been forced to play second fiddle to first-choice central defensive duo Wes Brown and John O’Shea, while the arrival of Argentine international Santiago Vergini has pushed the former Lazio man further down the pecking order.
The 26-year-old’s agent, Ulisse Savini, says Italian outfits Parma, Chievo and Verona are tracking the defender, while there is also interest from elsewhere in the Premier League.
“There are good chances to go back to Italy, although there are also options to remain in the Premier League,” Savini told reporters in Italy.
“I’d say it (a return to Serie A) was 50-50 because the possibilities in the Premier League are not lacking.”