Sunderland may chase Borini in next transfer window

*Alternative Crop* Sunderland's Fabio Borini celebrates scoring his side's second goal of the game during the Barclays Premier League match at the Stadium of Light, Sunderland. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Sunday October 27, 2013. See PA story SOCCER Sunderland. Photo credit should read: Owen Humphreys/PA Wire. RESTRICTIONS: Editorial use only. Maximum 45 images during a match. No video emulation or promotion as 'live'. No use in games, competitions, merchandise, betting or single club/player services. No use with unofficial audio, video, data, fixtures or club/league logos.
*Alternative Crop* Sunderland's Fabio Borini celebrates scoring his side's second goal of the game during the Barclays Premier League match at the Stadium of Light, Sunderland. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Sunday October 27, 2013. See PA story SOCCER Sunderland. Photo credit should read: Owen Humphreys/PA Wire. RESTRICTIONS: Editorial use only. Maximum 45 images during a match. No video emulation or promotion as 'live'. No use in games, competitions, merchandise, betting or single club/player services. No use with unofficial audio, video, data, fixtures or club/league logos.

GUS POYET insists it is too early to declare whether Sunderland will resurrect their pursuit of Fabio Borini in the January transfer window.

Sunderland’s summer-long bid to re-sign Liverpool forward Borini ultimately ended in failure last week, when last season’s Young Player of the Year opted to fight for his place at Anfield.

Poyet had made no secret that Borini was his number one target after Sunderland were prepared to match their £14million transfer record to bring the Italian back to the Stadium of Light.

But with Borini’s future at Liverpool still uncertain, Sunderland will continue to keep tabs on the 23-year-old, although Poyet says that will not necessary mean a repeat of the summer’s saga in the next window.

When asked whether Sunderland would chase Borini in January, Poyet said: “It’s unfair to say yes or no now

“I would love to have Fabio personally because I know what he brings.

“But by January, we might be fantastic and not looking to bring in that kind of player, or the opposite.

“I think we’ll monitor the situation and it will depend on many things - how we are, how Fabio is, what we need, so we’ll see.”

In hindsight, Poyet believes were too hasty in submitting a £14m bid for Borini in mid-July, despite Liverpool accepting their offer.

At that stage, Borini was still looking to battle for his place at Liverpool and effectively priced himself out of a move to Sunderland with his wage demands - the same scenario which saw his deadline day move to QPR fall through.

It wasn’t until the final throws of the window when Borini began to be more open to returning to Sunderland, but by then, the Black Cats had spent the bulk of the money earmarked for the former Chelsea youngster on £10m acquisition Jack Rodwell.

“We were closer than people think,” said Poyet.

“Fabio made a decision to stay at Liverpool first and foremost, and then if not, play in Europe.

“And then if not, his first choice was always Sunderland.

“I think we can blame timing.

“Maybe we went in too quick, too fast to get him when he decided right or wrong to wait.

“And then, at the end when he was available, we were not in a position to buy him.

“It’s just a situation we need to accept.”

However, Poyet doesn’t regret spending so long chasing Borini.

“No, I don’t” he replied when asked.

“I had a chat with his agent on the last day when all the QPR thing came up and I thought ‘here we go, we’ll get Fabio now’.

“But we couldn’t at the time.

“That showed you we had the chance to bring him.

“It was timing. I don’t think there is anyone to blame. We all have some responsibilities and unfortunately he’s not here now.”