Michael Hunter continues boxing comeback

editorial image

JUST four weeks to go and I can’t wait.

That was the rally cry today from Michael Hunter as he plots the next steps in his comeback, at Houghton-le-Spring on May 20.

Hartlepool’s most successful-ever boxer ended a 30-month absence from the ring when he outpointed seasoned campaigner Sid Razak at a vibrant Borough Hall last month.

Even though it was his first fight since losing a challenge for the British and Commonwealth title to Jason “Too Smooth” Booth in October 2008, it was as if he hadn’t been away.

Sharp for the first three rounds at his old boxing home he gave the packed crowd a treat with a glimpse of an “old-fashioned tear-up” in the final three minutes.

And he said he’s looking forward to taking on Ibrar Riyaz at the Rainton Meadows Arena on the Phil Jeffries-promoted Sunday spectacular next month.

“Everything is going good,” said the ex-Briitish, Commonwealth and European champion.

“I had a couple of days off after beating Sid, but that was all, and I’ve been hard at it in the gym – I’m a professional athlete these days!

“There are just four weeks to go and I can’t wait.

“I loved being back in the ring and entertaining the fans at the Borough Hall.

“The Rainton Meadows Arena is a place with a good atmosphere so I’m looking to carry on there where I left off against Sid.

“Just as I said before the bout at the Borough Hall, I’m still going to take it one fight at a time.

“There are no plans, no targets, just a desire to box and entertain.

“If something big was to materialise, who knows, at the present time my only focus is the Riyaz contest and I’m looking to put in a good performance.

“The fight against Sid went well but there is more to come.”