Jenno will take Jayo seriously in BDO World Darts Championships

Paul Jennings
Paul Jennings

DARTS star Paul Jennings will be taking last-16 opponent Jason Cullen seriously tonight in his quest to reach the 2013 BDO Lakeside quarter-finals, writes Chris Bell.

Jenno beat number six seed Ross Montgomery 3-1 on Monday night in a gripping encounter, his reward a second-round game with the Irish Cullen.

Cullen, 24, beat 11th seed Martin Atkins 3-1 to reach the last 16 but his darting CV hardly strikes fear into opponents.

Cullen, known as “Jayo”, was a successful qualifier for the World Championships but his highest-place result in his career to date was a last-32 spot at last year’s Europe Cup.

However, Cullen showed his prowess in his shock victory against Atkins with four 180s, enough for Jennings to acknowledge that he will have to be at his best.

“Paul can’t take him for granted, that’s for sure,” Jennings’ promoter Kevin Hill admitted to SportMail.

“He beat Martin Atkins in his first game so we won’t take him lightly, Paul will prepare for him the same way he would do if he were playing Scott Waites.”

Indeed, Jenno, who resides on the town’s Headland, might have to prepare for Waites if he successfully navigates his way past Cullen.

Favourite Waites faces Tony Eccles’ victor Geert de Vos in the second round with the winner between Jennings and Cullen taking on either Waites or de Vos in the quarters.

For the time being, however, there is only one game that Jennings is focusing on.

“You should only ever take it one game at a time,” Hill added.

“We’ll see how it goes on the night, Paul’s looking forward to getting back on the oche.

“There’s an extra set too so there’s a bit more lee-way.

“With a bit of luck he can get a positive result.”

Jennings’ game starts at 6.30pm live on ESPN Classic.

Meanwhile, Dave Prins says he is determined to put his first-round defeat to Richie George behind him.

Prins, 44, took on the son of darts legend Richie George, 23, at the Lakeside in Surrey but was beaten 3-2 after an entertaining clash.

Before Peterlee’s top arrows man took to the oche at the home of darts, Prins knew it would be a tough test and is “gutted” with the result.

He said: “All the crowd were shouting for him and wanting him to win.

“The pressure must have been massive for him but I really should have won.

“I had a chance to take the match at 3-1 but if you don’t hit your doubles - you don’t win darts matches.

“I was quite calm and knew that I have the ability to play good darts but unfortunately it wasn’t to be.”

Prins will now look towards his next major competition on the BDO circuit which is the Dutch Open on the first weekend in February.

He added: “I will try and build my points up this year and keep trying to improve all the time.

“It is difficult but I know that I can come out with some good results in the next few competitions.”The Dutch Open will be held at the Koningshof Centre.