MATCH REPORT: Gateshead 13 Horden 32

HEAVEN 17: Craig Jones scored 17 points for  Horden
HEAVEN 17: Craig Jones scored 17 points for Horden
Have your say

HORDEN returned to winning ways and extended their 2013 unbeaten league run to 17 games by finally completing a comfortable win at Gateshead.

Glenn Bowman’s team who are second, only two points behind Blyth, trailed 13-0 at the bottom club on Saturday.

But a second-half supershow turned things around.

“We showed good character to come back from 13-0 down,” Bowman told SportMail.

“But we can’t give sides a head start.

“We need to be more clinical and take the opportunities once we’ve created them.”

Horden started well with the first 15 minutes played in the Gateshead half, but could not score as their handling let them down when they had a 4 v 2 overlap.

Teenage winger Cameron Stables, a late call-up after Andrew Turner pulled out with a calf strain, did look dangerous, beating two players and making 30metres with his first touch.

Gateshead took the lead against the run of play with a 30-metre penalty.

The hosts added a try with 25 minutes on the clock when the flanker broke through after a line-out to score near the posts.

The conversion was landed and then a penalty just before half-time saw Gateshead go into the break with a 13-0 lead.

After a few pertinent comments at half-time, Horden came out in determined mood and scored almost immediately from the kick-off.

A series of forward drives took play into the 22 before the ball was moved wide to Harry Cox who finished well in the corner.

From a Gateshead kick, full-back Craig Jones almost added to the total with a counter-attack from inside his own half ending when he was pulled down just short.

But a penalty from Jones made it 13-8 and Horden were becoming more and more dominant.

Gateshead were pinned back in their 22 and from a scrum, the Horden pack drove the home team backwards and Newton Turton was quickest to react to touch down.

Jones converted to make it 15-13 to the visitors.

The Horden pack continued to batter the opposition and Gateshead seemed to be running out of steam up front.

They conceded frequent penalties and from one, Horden kicked to the corner from where a catch and drive led to Turton going over for his second try.

Jones converted and another penalty made it 25-13.

With 10 minutes to go, Horden added the four-try bonus point.

From a scrum inside the away half, Kieron Forbes picked up and broke through the defence, galloping to within five metres of the line. Jones was backing up well and took a short pass score next to the posts. He converted to make it 32-13.

Gateshead came back right at the end with stand-off David Heckles making a try-saving tackle in the corner to keep them out.