SIMON Vallily suffered one of the most frustrating nights of his career when he saw two bouts fall through within the space of 24 hours.
Vallily had been scheduled to face former British champion Paul David on the undercard of the Bradley Saunders v Gyorgy Mizsei showdown at Gateshead Leisure Centre.
But the Northampton fighter was ruled out due to an issue over his medical clearance.
Vallily, with some reluctance, accepted former foe Moses Matovu as a late substitute.
However, while the undefeated Gus Robinson Developments cruiserweight accepted the Northern Ireland-based African tough guy, the British Boxing Board of Control did not.
The BBBC had no access to Matovu’s medical records and would not sanction the four round contest.
Gus Robinson Developments head coach Peter Cope told SportMail: “The last 24 hours or so could not have gone much worse for us.
“I got a call on Thursday night to say there was a problem over David, something about the results of his brain scan had not come back.
“The matchmaker offered us Moses, who Simon had beaten two fights ago and they said they could bring over from Ireland at the last minute.
“Simon was not keen on the fight, he was very frustrated and in his words he felt ‘stuck in the mud’.
“I didn’t feel too happy about it either but I said to him ‘you have not gone backwards, this is just one of those unfortunate things that happen in boxing’.
“My view was that it wasn’t ideal but it was better to fight Moses than have no fight at all.
“Simon had trained hard for six weeks and sold a lot of tickets.
“I’d suggested to take the fight, show the improvements we’ve made and come out with a win and then get ready to go again in February.
“Simon decided to go for it and then at 4.20 I got a phone call to say it was off because Moses’ medical clearance had not come through. To say we are hugely disappointed barely covers how we are feeling.”