New cafe and cocktail bar to open in Hartlepool's Church Street, creating 10 jobs in new venture by Bianco Bros owners

A new cafe and cocktail bar is set to open near Church Street in Hartlepool after plans were approved.

Thursday, 27th August 2020, 12:35 pm

The plans, submitted by Nicola Burrows, stated the move would create four full-time jobs and 10 part-time roles.

Council planning officers confirmed the plans have been given the go ahead, with proposals also approved earlier this year for a similar cafe and bar at 6 Scarborough Street, located opposite.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The building in Church Street, which will house the venue downstairs and flats upstairs

Planning and heritage statements submitted by the applicant, along with planning agent Neil Bianco from Bianco Bros, stated the new site would benefit the area.

It said: “The proposed development will create jobs and prosperity, and help in the economic redevelopment of Church Street and the wider Hartlepool.

“This is an important building within the redevelopment Scarborough Street and Church Street, and as such the alterations of the new development will have a minimal impact on the buildings appearance, character and the setting of the building, with the Conservation Area of Church Street.”

Plans state the venue is to be open from 9am until 12.30am from Monday to Saturday and 9am until 10.30pm on Sundays and bank holidays.

Changes to the layout of the building will include a bar and booth seating area at ground floor level, with an open plan bar leading out to a terrace on the first floor, with toilets located on both floors.

An agreement has also been made as part of the development to include suitable sound insulation for walls with any adjacent properties, to ensure adequate protection from noise.

Documents state the building was originally built in the 1890s and has always provided offices for various businesses, and was most recently used by a recruitment agency in 2018.

A report from council planning officer Stephanie Bell confirmed the plans would have no detrimental impact on the area.

In her report, she said: “It is considered that the principle of the proposed change of use to a café/bar is acceptable.

“It is considered that the proposal would not give rise to adverse impacts upon the visual amenity (including impacting upon the Conservation Area), neighbour amenity, highway safety, community safety or any other planning matter.

“Furthermore, the proposal would bring a vacant building back into use.”

A message from the editor

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to the Hartlepool Mail website and enjoy unlimited access to local news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/subscriptions to sign up.

You can subscribe to the newspaper with 20% off at https://www.localsubsplus.co.uk/