A husband and wife team are gearing up for their first-ever beer festival as the new landlords of a popular Hartlepool pub.
Paul and Lana Williams took over the running of The Fisherman’s Arms, in Southgate, on the Headland, Hartlepool, in March, after enjoying sitting across the other side of the bar as regulars.
Apparently we’ve got a bit of a taste for good beers, so we just pick ones we think people will like.Paul Williams, The Fisherman’s Arms
And in a bid to keep the pub’s tradition of regular beer festivals, 53-year-old Paul and 47-year-old Lana have organised one such event to start tonight.
Called North and South, the festival will see a selection of beers from around the country hit the bottom of glasses at the pub, which is more commonly known as The Fish, through until the last day of the event on Sunday.
But as well as the fine range of ales, there will also be a great choice of local musical talent for punters to enjoy as they sample the rare drinks.
Paul, a dad of one, said: “We’re following on from the previous successful beer festivals that have been held in the pub. We’re excited for it, but it is a bit tense because we’ve got to make sure that everyone has a good time and also that we sell all of these beers!
“But apparently we’ve got a bit of a taste for good beers, so we just pick ones we think people will like.”
The running order for the five-day extravaganza is as follows:
• Tonight is Ladies Night, from 8pm, “to try to get a few more women interested in real ales”. Men are also welcome.
• Thursday, May 21, is taster night with a full preview of the ales on offer for people to sample.
• Friday, May 22, from 8pm, is the festival’s first night of music, with tunes from Tinny Bennett, Allan Bainbridge, Just Us Kitchy Retro, Peter Lit Hope, and Jordan Kirkup.
• Saturday, May 23, will see performances from acts including Both Barrels, and Mark Walker.
• Sunday, May 24, starts with a quiz at 6pm, and then music from town favourites Pek and Wanley from 8pm.
Entry to each leg of the festival is free.
For further details ring Paul on 074 3794 0987.