Famous jockey and slave trader in family

Terry and Sheila Ede
Terry and Sheila Ede

TO have one fascinating relative in your past is great news.

To have two is even better.

But to have three is really quite remarkable. Terry Ede has – and a few more besides.

He knows all about them thanks to his wife Sheila, 74, from the Stockton Road area of town, who has spent countless hours on research.

Terry, a welder for town-based firm HQ Engineering for 25 years, admitted: “She will often study late into the night. I just leave her to it and go to bed.”

But it is a labour of love which has uncovered a rich history which includes:

l Terry’s great great cousin, George Matthew Ede, winning the Grand National on The Lamb in 1868.

It was the first – and one of only a rare number – of occasions on which a grey horse has won the race.

The Lamb had odds of 9-1.

George’s National victory was all the more remarkable as he had been seriously injured in a fall a few months earlier.

But sadly, the National meeting was to end in tragedy for George two years later.

He was leaving the course after competing in that year’s National when he was asked to ride in another race the next day.

George had not planned to ride. In fact, his plans were to retire from racing because he was due to get married.

But he took the race and was crushed when he and his horse fell at the fence which would later become known as The Chair.

Sheila said: “It is a remarkable story and it is astonishing how you can look at family history, and every time you go back to it, you find something different.”

l George’s nephew, Edward Ede, was a top cricketer and represented Hampshire from 1902-1906.

He was a slow left-arm spinner who once took 10 wickets in a match against Derbyshire in 1905. He died from pneumonia in 1936.

l Arthur George Ede, who was the father of Titanic victim George Bulkeley Ede.

Arthur George was also one of the supporters of the original Southampton Football Club.

But his claim to fame was much more tragic and ironic.

He was a local politician and a Good Samaritan in the Southampton area and records show he “did work for the good,” said Sheila.

He served the town’s St Deny’s ward as a councillor from 1910 to 1912 and was tasked with distributing relief to the widows of Titanic victims after the 1912 tragedy.

“He came out of politics after the sinking of the Titanic.

“Perhaps it was through grief,” said Sheila.

Arthur George Ede died in 1936.

l Job Ede, the father of George Matthew Ede.

Job built and ran a windmill estate in West Indies as its proprietor. He also had a sugar factory in Tottenham, London.

Windmill estates were plantations on which sugar canes were grown and processed, largely through intense labour.

In other words, said Sheila, “he was a slave trader”.

Job died in 1844.

Sheila, a former Hartlepool power station canteen worker for 17 years, had nothing but praise for the staff at the Central Library, in York Road, Hartlepool. She said: “I can’t thank them enough for their help.”

She described genealogy as “hard work but really enjoyable”.

She added: “When you get a breakthrough, it is like you’ve received a present.”

Who knows. Just like Terry, your fascinating story could feature in the Hartlepool Mail.

Give us a call and tell us all about your memorable past.

Contact Chris Cordner by writing to him at New Clarence House, Wesley Square, Hartlepool, TS24 8BX, via email chris.cordner@northeast-press.co.uk or by calling (01429) 239377.