OXFORD Street School opened in 1889 but was replaced by Stranton School, in Southburn Terrace, in 1971.
According to a letter sent to Memory Lane, in the surrounding area was the post office where Miss Butteridge was the postmistress and Handley’s, where anything from underwear to hardware could be bought.
Across the road was a fish and chip shop and then on the corner of Westmoreland Street was Relton’s off-licence.
On the opposite side of Oxford Street was a branch of Walker’s butchers, managed by an Eddie McCullock.
Next door on the corner of Cambridge Street back street was a Marky Bloom fruit market.
In Cambridge Street, the Co-Op had a cake shop.
On the corner of Norfolk Street was a fish and chip shop which was run by Mr and Mrs Anderson.
The school has since been demolished, but St Aidan’s Church is still a reminder of a once-busy area of Hartlepool.