Phone call thrilled the radio star

Pictured in 1973 are Stan Laundon (left) and Malcolm Dawes
Pictured in 1973 are Stan Laundon (left) and Malcolm Dawes

A FORMER Hartlepool United star and ex-radio personality have been reunited after almost 40 years thanks to the Hartlepool Mail.

Malcolm Dawes, who played for Pools from 1970 to 1975, has been put back in touch with Town man Stan Laundon.

The pair, both now 68, were good friends in the 1970s during Stan’s time as a presenter at the then BBC Radio Cleveland.

Stan, who lives on the Headland, is no stranger to Memory Lane-style meetings as he runs a nostalgia website, which includes profiles of 1960s Hartlepool, east Durham and Teesside bands.

Stan featured in the Hartlepool Mail earlier this month, after his website helped to reunite members of former Peterlee band The Kavemen.

Malcolm, who now lives in Newton Aycliffe, saw the article and contacted the Mail with a view to getting in touch with Stan and his details were passed on.

Within hours, the pair were chatting away on the phone and are planning to meet up when Malcolm returns from a trip abroad.

Stan, who was also a director at Hartlepool United for a short time in the 1970s, said: “I spoke to Mally that afternoon for 10 minutes, but had a 50-minute conversation later that evening.

“I’m not sure the last time I saw him, but we did become friends in the 70s when he was at Hartlepool United.

“Thank you for putting us in touch.

“The last time I saw Malcolm Dawes would be the 70s.

“It was great to hear him again after all these years.

“He’s done very well for himself as a cricket coach, of all things.”

Stan, who worked at the radio station for 23 years until 1994 and was well-known for his Country Time show, added: “We will arrange a meeting in a few weeks’ time when he returns from a holiday.”

Trimdon-born former Pools defender Malcolm started his playing career with Fishburn Juniors, before joining Darlington FC in January 1962.

He later moved to Nuneaton Borough and then Horden Colliery Welfare before making 170 appearances for Aldershot.

In the summer of 1970, he returned north to play for Pools, wearing the number four shirt for the majority of his five years with the town club.

For three summers he went on loan to clubs in America, achieving Player of the Year accolades with New York Cosmos in 1973 and for Pools in 1974-1975.

But after an ankle injury, he moved to Workington in November 1975 where he ended up as player-coach.

After a knee injury, he played one game for Scarborough, but needed another operation, playing afterwards in Sunday and local leagues.

Malcolm later played for Hartlepool Catholic Club Over-40s, scouted for Shrewsbury, coached for Stockton Borough Council and was also a cricket coach for Durham County.