100 new jobs confirmed for Hartlepool with opening of new care home

Building land at Merlin Way, Bishop Cuthberts, Hartlepool. Picture by FRANK REID
Building land at Merlin Way, Bishop Cuthberts, Hartlepool. Picture by FRANK REID

Plans for a new Hartlepool care home creating 100 new jobs have been given the go ahead.

Hartlepool Borough Council planning committee unanimously approved plans for a 93-bed care home off land at Merlin Way at its meeting on Wednesday.

Planning chiefs had previously recommended plans for approval from Prestige Group to create a near identical home on the land in May 2016 but the scheme was withdrawn by the applicant.

However earlier this year the site was acquired on behalf of the applicant and a fresh planning application was submitted by P & R Construction.

The site includes a mix of two and three storey buildings and is estimated to create 70 full-time and 30 part-time jobs.

Councillors on the planning committee were all behind the plans for the area, despite 27 objections being submitted.

Coun Paul Beck, who represents the area on the council, spoke at the planning meeting to back the plans.

He said: “I had a meeting with the applicant a few months ago and everything I requested was addressed by the applicant.

“This scheme will be beneficial for the area, we can’t let us find ourselves in a situation where there is a shortfall of beds.

“Bringing in 70 full-time jobs will also provided a boost to employment in the area.

“I’m fully supporting this application.”

The site will also include include day rooms, a hairdressing salon, central kitchen and laundry facilities and there will be a 28 space car park created.

Coun Brenda Loynes, who sites on the planning committee, said: “Many of us are not getting any younger and there is a real need for care homes in the area.”

Planning agent Neil Barker, speaking on behalf of the applicant, said the land was previously derelict and they have been working to address any concerns.

The proposals also include £23,000 in section 106 funding which will be spent on green infrastructure.

The plans were ultimately approved despite concerns raised by objectors there was ‘no need’ for the development in the area.

One resident, speaking at the meeting, said: “What I have a problem with is the traffic, the amount of traffic is horrendous.

“With new homes being approved there and now the care home, it’s unbelievable.

“Do we even need a care home in that part of town?

“I cannot believe it’s even getting thought of.

“I’m very emotional about this, it needs thought going in to it.”

Nic Marko , Local Democracy Reporting Service