£85,000 works set to protect Headland from flooding

A submerged taxi during flooding on the Headland after the tidal surge on December 5 2013
A submerged taxi during flooding on the Headland after the tidal surge on December 5 2013

WORKS totalling around £85,000 to help prevent flooding of the kind seen on the Headland during last year’s storm are nearing completion.

Northumbrian Water has been carrying out works to an underground pipe that overflowed last December leaving parts of the Headland submerged under several feet of water.

It was caused by a tidal surge forcing sea and rain water back up an outflow pipe that leads to the sea flooding the area around Thorpe Street.

Nothumbrian Water has installed two flaps in the pipe to prevent tidal water gushing up it and also carried out other improvements.

Hartlepool Borough Council has also worked with the water authority to prevent future flooding.

Councillor Peter Jackson, chairman of the neighbourhood services committee, said: “We have done a lot of work and we believe we have solved the problem. Our officers have worked hard with Northumbrian Water to find a solution.

“Hopefully we won’t have a tidal surge so bad in the future.

“We have done as much as we possible can.”

There was previously no controls in place on the pipe system to stop such flooding.

At the peak of the storm on December 5 last year, the Headland was isolated to normal traffic travelling in West View Road and Northgate for around three hours.

During that time some traffic was allowed to travel through the docks of Tees and Hartlepool Port Authority, and police directed traffic through the Brus Tunnel onto Old Cemetery Road.

It was after Britain experienced the worst tidal surge in 60 years.

Across the region, over 300 people were evacuated, and 10,000 premises lost electricity supply.

Sea defences were also breached at Greatham Creek.

A spokesman for Northumbria Water said: “We are doing about £85,000 of work to help safeguard the area from the risk of future flooding.

“We have installed two flaps to the outfall pipe.

“They remain closed and only open when the outfall needs to discharge.”

Work started in August and it should be finished by the end of this week. The authority has also cleaned part of the pipe, installed a new access point to help maintain it and encased part of it in concrete.