BUSINESSES were today counting the cost of a full day’s loss of trade after the chaos caused by David Bagley’s car bomb.
Shops and restaurants were forced to close as police evacuated Hartlepool Marina in the aftermath of the blast.
The major incident started with Mr Bagley’s Nissan Micra blowing up in Old Cemetery Road, then led to police moving their investigation to the marina when details of his address came to light.
It saw hundreds of people around Navigation Point evacuated from the area.
Residents were not allowed back into their homes until the area had been made safe by police and bomb disposal experts at around 10.30pm on Wednesday.
Things were starting to get back to normal yesterday, though the police investigation into what led to Mr Bagley’s death looks set to continue for some time.
David Colling, 49, owner of Sunny’s Steak House, also on Navigation Point, said: “It was a nightmare day for us business-wise on Wednesday.
“Obviously deliveries couldn’t come in and we had to cancel customers who had booked a table.
“Every day is very important so obviously to lose a full day of business does have an effect.”
Tim Williams, 25, head chef at the steak house, added: “I had no idea what was going on when I came to work, the police wouldn’t let us nowhere near.”
Adam Tarbah, 23, manager of neighbouring bar Rosie O’Gradys, said: “We do have regulars in the pub but I can’t say I recognise the name Bagley.
“It obviously has an effect on business when you completely lose a day, but Wednesday isn’t the busiest of days for us.”
Chris Weldrake, 56, who works at Waterfront Fish and Chips takeaway on Navigation Point, said: “Obviously, we know people by face who come in quite often and this man could be one of them.
“But I don’t recognise the name.
“I was off work and when I heard the news I did panic a little bit.
“I rang work straight away to see if everyone was ok.”