Ambulance service review launched following death of woman who waited eight hours for paramedics

A great-grandmother who was forced to wait eight hours for an ambulance following a fall has died.

Sunday, 26th November 2017, 2:14 pm
Updated Wednesday, 6th December 2017, 2:21 pm
Georgina Allen with son Wayne.

The North East Ambulance Service say they are launching a review of the care received by Hartlepool pensioner Georgina Allen, 68.

Georgina fell and broke her arm and shoulder, before her feet became trapped under her bed at her home in Hazelwood Rise on the Headland on the evening of Saturday, November 11.

Georgina Allen with her husband Paul, who died in 2003.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

After initial treatment from carers, who had been called out when an emergency button installed in the house was pressed, the pensioner had to wait eight hours until an ambulance took her to hospital at 1.40am.

She was comforted throughout that time by sons Wayne and Mark, who lived with the mum-of-two, grandmother-of-two and great-grandmother-of-two in the house.

They say the carers left after about 20 minutes.

The North East Ambulance Service later apologised for the wait Mrs Allen, a mum-of-two, grandmother-of-two and great-grandmother-of-two, had to endure and today said the service’s response to the callout will be “reviewed”.

A North East Ambulance Service ambulance.

After being taken into the University Hospital of North Tees in Stockton, her condition deteriorated after contracting pneumonia and she sadly died just before 1pm last Tuesday.

Speaking to the Mail, Wayne said: “We are thinking of taking things as far as we can.”

Mrs Allen had worked in the NHS at Hartlepool General Hospital in a domestic role for several decades.

Her family were told last Tuesday morning by hospital staff that her condition was worsening.

Georgina Allen with her husband Paul, who died in 2003.

“We got a phone call to say that the doctors were concerned about her and we should come in,” added Wayne.

“She died at 12.45pm.

“We can’t fault any of the paramedics because they did everything to help her.

“But we believe this goes above their heads because everything with the service is messed up these days and it just isn’t good enough.”

A North East Ambulance Service ambulance.

A North East Ambulance Service spokesman said: “We would like to offer our sincere condolences to Mrs Allen’s family and would again like to apologise for the distress the delay must have caused them.

“The circumstances around her health and the response from our service will be reviewed as part of our investigation to see if there are any lessons to be learned.”

Mrs Allen’s funeral is due to take place at St Hilda’s Church on the Headland at 1.15pm on Monday, December 4.