Anger after man urinates against Hartlepool’s war memorial in broad daylight

Martin Sharp pictured at Hartlepool War Memorial.
Martin Sharp pictured at Hartlepool War Memorial.

Police are investigating reports a man was seen urinating against Hartlepool’s war memorial in broad daylight.

A man was spotted relieving himself against the main plinth in Victory Square earlier this week.

“This was disgusting and totally disrespectful”.

Martin Sharp

Several people are believed to have witnessed the act and immediately contacted Cleveland Police, who say they are now investigating the incident.

Martin Sharp, of the Friends of Victory Square group, which campaigns for the upkeep of the war memorial told the Mail: “This was disgusting and totally disrespectful.”

Mr Sharp says he and several other members of the public witnessed the act.

According to Mr Sharp the man lowered his trousers and began urinating up against the plinth.

“I actually know who he is because he kept pestering me for cigarettes and money before it happened,” said Mr Sharp, 55.

“Two women were walking up from Victoria Road to the Civic Centre and they were absolutely disgusted by what they say.

“They pointed it out to the security officer who was standing outside the magistrates’ court.”

Mr Sharp added that he now hopes the perpetrator is caught, prosecuted and exposed as the person who carried out the deed.

“I hope he is found and properly punished as soon as possible,” he said.

“You can’t stop people going into certain areas, but those like him who think that they can urinate where they like, when they like and without consequences need to be dealt with.”

The incident is alleged to have happened between 11am and 11.25am on Tuesday. The man is described as being in his late 30s, about 5ft 2in tall and walking with a stoop.

He was wearing dark blue tracksuit bottoms, a grey jacket and trainers at the time he is alleged to have urinated on the memorial.

A spokeswoman for Cleveland Police said: “We have received reports of a man urinating on the war memorial in Hartlepool on January 12 between 11am and 11.30am. Officers are currently looking into this incident.”