Barred drinker punched landlord '“ then threw himself down pretending to be victim

A barred drinker thumped a pub landlord in a row over his ban before throwing himself to the ground and claiming he had been '˜beat up' himself.

Wednesday, 22nd June 2016, 5:00 am
Updated Wednesday, 22nd June 2016, 8:33 am
Jeffrey Khan, leaves South Tyneside Magistrates Court

Jeffrey Khan was given his marching orders at the Queen Vic pub, in South Shields, following complaints over his behaviour to female staff, but returned to the boozer in the hope of winning a reprieve.

But when Harold Hill escorted him off the premises of the Victoria Road pub, he threw a punch at the licensee before running 50 yards and hurling himself to the ground ‘like a child in a tantrum’.

Queen Vic, Victoria Road South Shields

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

When the drunken 46-year-old picked himself back up, he shouted: ‘Harold Hill beat me up’, magistrates were told.

Khan, of Binchester Road, South Shields, admitted assault when he appeared before South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court.

The court heard that Khan is battling alcohol problems and was ‘very sorry’ for his actions.

Glenda Beck, prosecuting, said: “The injured party Harold Hill runs the Queen Vic pub.

Queen Vic, Victoria Road South Shields

“Khan was a customer there for six or seven months but had been barred for scrounging pints off other customers and acting inappropriately to female members of staff.

“He was barred on February 25.

“At 7.30pm on March 1 he went into the Queen Vic but was told to leave by Mr Hill. He refused to leave and was ushered off the premises.

“Mr Hill was then punched in the face by the defendant who ran away 50 yards and then threw himself on the floor, kicking and punching the ground like a child in a tantrum.

“He got up and shouted Harold Hill beat me up.”

Laura Croft, defending, said Khan had gone to the pub to sort out his issues with staff after having a heated phone argument with the kitchen manager.

She said: “He has gone to the pub to sort things out with the licensee.

“He accepts with hindsight it was a bad idea and he should’ve done it while sober.

“He feared he was going to be assaulted as Mr Hill had hold of him by the coat as he was taking him outside.

“He accepts Mr Hill was entitled to do that and his response was excessive.

“He feels very sorry about what happened.

“He says it wouldn’t have happended if he had not been under the influence of alcohol.

“That’s what gets him into trouble.”

The court heard that Khan is already subject to a community order, including an alcohol treatment requirement.

He was handed a six-month conditional discharge and must pay compensation of £50.