Bungalow kitchen fire

AN electrical fault is believed to have caused a fire in a pensioner’s kitchen.

Crews from Peterlee Fire Station were called to the bungalow in Langdale Place, Peterlee, at 9.30pm on Saturday.

A toaster and an oven grill were on fire and flames had spread to a cupboard.

The homeowner, a woman in her 80s, had raised the alarm and needed treatment for smoke inhalation at the scene.

The pensioner, who was shaken but otherwise unharmed, was then taken to the University Hospital of Hartlepool as a precaution.

There was fire damage to the kitchen and the bungalow was partially smoke-logged.