THE driving force behind Hartlepool’s annual business awards is to step down.
John Megson has been the leading light of the annual Hartlepool Business Awards ever since it become a yearly attraction around six years ago.
But he told the Hartlepool Mail: “I will always have a soft spot for Hartlepool and I will always endeavour to help in any way I can.
“But moving forward, I just feel I have done my bit and it is time to move on.”
Mr Megson first started working in Hartlepool in 1995 when he was involved with the Hartlepool Enterprise Agency.
Since then, he has become the co-ordinator of both the Hartlepool Business Forum and the Hartlepool Business Awards.
He said: “It was only about six years ago that the forum was approached to take over the awards, transforming it into a successful annual event that it is now.
“I have been involved in many aspects of the economy of the town and I would like to think that people see me as an ambassador for Hartlepool.
Mr Megson will be the master of ceremonies at the 2013 Hartlepool Business Awards which will be held at the Borough Hall on the Headland on Thursday, May 16, next year.
He said: “I have indicated to the committee for the forum and the awards that I will be standing down after the awards.
“An item on the committee agenda will be looking at a strategy for the way forward.”
The awards were officially launched at the Hartlepool’s Maritime Experience where guests were told that £11,000 in prizes were on offer.
Sponsorship worth £30,000 has been secured for the competition which firms can enter between now and Tuesday, March 5, next year.
Details of how to enter can be found at www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk