Busy day for Hartlepool lifeboats

Hartlepool's Atlantic 85 inshore lifeboat
Hartlepool's Atlantic 85 inshore lifeboat

HM Humber Coastguard requested the launch of Hartlepool RNLI lifeboats to three separate incidents today.

HM Humber Coastguard received a request for assistance from an 8metre fishing boat that had suffered mechanical trouble just off the Heugh pier. Hartlepool RNLI’s volunteer crewmembers were paged at 9.16am and launched their Atlantic 85 inshore lifeboat, Solihull, at 9.25am this morning.

Hartlepool RNLI Helm, Clare Gibbin, said: “We arrived on scene to find that the fishing vessel, with one person on board, had suffered an overheated engine. We attached a rope to the boat and soon had it under tow back to Kafiga Landings at Hartlepool Fish Quay. We left the casualty at 10.02am and returned to the lifeboat station and were ready for service at 10.15am.”

The pagers went off again at 11.49am when HM Coastguard requested the assistance of Hartlepool RNLI’s all weather lifeboat this time for a 28 foot fishing boat that had broken down seven miles due east of Hartlepool.

Hartlepool RNLI’s 2nd Coxwain and Mechanic Gary Waugh said: “We launched at 12.06pm and when we arrived on scene, at 12 27pm, the fishing boat which had suffered engine failure and had four people on board who were enjoying a days fishing had been taken under tow by a passing Pilot Cutter. We quickly relieved the Pilot Cutter and attached a rope to the fishing boat and towed it to the safety of Kafiga Landings at Hartlepool Fish Quay.

“We left the casualty at 1.15pm and returned to Hartlepool Lifeboat station and made the lifeboat ready for service at 1.20pm.”

The pagers went off for a third time at 6.58pm. HM Humber Coastguard had a report that a kite surfer had come down near to North Gare and had been in the water for over half an hour.

Hartlepool RNLI’s Atlantic 85 Solihull was launched at 7.07pm and was quickly on scene. An initial search of the area didn’t locate anyone in the water and it became apparent, after consultation with HM Hartlepool Coastguard at the scene, that the kitesurfer had made it back to the beach and was safe and well. Hartlepool RNLI’s inshore lifeboat was stood down and left the scene to return to the lifeboat station at 7.30pm.

Hartlepool RNLI’s Operations Manager, Mike Craddy said: “It is important that everyone that goes to sea makes sure they have the right equipment and that their vessels are maintained regularly. These were routine jobs for our volunteer crewmembers who train every week to be able to help save lives at sea.”