Calls for report into flooding after Headland hit by storm surge

A taxi stuck in the Headland floods
A taxi stuck in the Headland floods

CALLS have been made for a report to be brought before councillors detailing how areas susceptible to flash flooding can be accessed during severe weather.

It comes after recent treacherous weather conditions saw the main entrance to the Headland, on Hartlepool’s Cleveland Road, flooded, leaving the area isolated and chaotic to access, with queues of cars being directed to alternative routes by police officers.

Now Hartlepool Borough Council’s neighbourhood services committee wants a detailed report highlighting areas that could be affected in future and how they would be best accessed if similar flooding happens again.

Labour councillor Peter Jackson, chairman of the neighbourhood services committee, called for the report at a recent meeting.

Coun Jackson said: “We had some severe storms recently and there was one area of the town that was cut off, the Headland.

“I wanted to request that if an area of Hartlepool is cut off again because of storms or adverse weather, then can we get a report that may identify the areas and ways of getting access, a lot quicker than we did this time round.

“I appreciate there was a lot going on and there was a major flood on the Tees Road as well.

“But can I request that a report comes back with some sort of plan that can be approved by this committee.”

It was agreed and the report is expected to go back to the neighbourhood services committee in February.

It comes as bosses at the council had already requested a meeting between ambulance service, fire brigade and police chiefs to discuss emergency plans should such a situation arise again.

The storms on December 5 left Cleveland Road almost 3ft under water, closing the road to traffic.

Around 5pm police eventually allowed cars to access the Headland across the rugby field and up the bank to Old Cemetery Road and onto Thorpe Street, one at a time.

And for a short time, cars were allowed passage through the Brus Tunnel once the rugby field had become too boggy.

West View Road was re-opened at around 9pm.

The battering winds and rain also caused chaos in other parts of the town with a section of Stockton Road being closed, from Westbourne Road to the Burn Valley roundabout, due to a fallen chimney stack, several trees being blown down and the roof of High Tunstall College of Science suffering damage which saw the school closed for two days.

RAF helicopters were also drafted in to move sea defence blocks from the sea front at Seaton Carew to the banks of Greatham Creek which had burst as a result of the weather.

l There will be more windy weather over the weekend and into early next week, with wind speeds of up to 21mph forecast for Hartlepool.