Candle set duvet alight

FIREFIGHTERS have issued a warning after a candle started a fire.

Officers from Stranton Fire Station were called to Collingwood Road, Hartlepool after a report that a candle had led to a duvet catching fire. The fire started after a child picked up a candle and was out by the time the crew arrived.

A spokesman for Stranton Fire Station said: “People should be aware if they have candles that if they leave the room they should extinguish them, especially if they have children in the house.

“People should also make sure that they have a smoke alarm that is in full working order.”

Cleveland Fire Brigade runs a Home Fire Safety Check scheme where firefighters call to peoples’ home and make sure they are safe, advise what to do in the case of a fire and fit new smoke alarms.

For more information about the scheme, or to book a visit, ring (01429) 874063.