A MAN recovering from a car crash had to go to hospital after falling as he fled a kitchen fire.
The 30-year-old, who is using a Zimmer frame as he recovers from the collision, is said to have fallen as he and eight other people, including three children and a teenager, escaped from a house in Lansdowne Road, Hartlepool.
The man is believed to have fallen and injured his hip and also suffered smoke inhalation.
Firefighters say the blaze started after some of the people from the house had made pancakes on the hob and accidentally turned on the grill before leaving the kitchen.
Some of the group, including the occupants and some visitors, were treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics at the scene.
Watch manager Andy Robinson, of Stranton Fire Station, which sent two appliances to the scene, said the group had a lucky escape.
Watch manager Robinson said: “One of the occupiers suffered an injury to his hip.
“He had just got back from having an operation from a road traffic collision but fell trying to get out of the house.”
The occupants had been alerted by an upstairs smoke alarm and had smelled smoke before evacuating.
Firefighters have since fitted three more smoke alarms.
The downstairs of the property was smoke-logged and the cooker was damaged during the incident.
Firefighters wore two sets of breathing apparatus to tackle the blaze, which took place around 6.45pm yesterday, and spent an hour at the scene.
Anyone wanting a free fire safety check can call (01429) 874063.