Bottle attacker ordered to pay Hartlepool victim £3,000

Skyy Bar, Avenue Road, Hartlepool.
Skyy Bar, Avenue Road, Hartlepool.

A man has been ordered to pay £3,000 in compensation after a bottle attack in a late-night Hartlepool bar.

Leon Fay, 28, was told by the judge - who also gave him a suspended prison sentence - that he had come within a whisker of going to jail.

You are not buying your way out of prison.

Judge Shaun Morris

The father-of-two, who was working in the area building decking at the Crimdon Dene caravan site, smashed a bottle over the head of Louis Hannan, 21, in the Skyy Bar in Avenue Road, Hartlepool.

The attack happened at at 2.10am on March 20.

Prosecuter David Crook told Teesside Crown Court that Fay, from Manchester, was apparently annoyed because Mr Hannan was served before him.

The court heard Fay, who was described as a decent, hardworking family man, wept and was physically sick when police showed him a CCTV recording of the attack.

Judge Shaun Morris, who ordered him to pay the compensation for the two-inch cut which was glued in hospital, told him: “You are not buying your way out of prison.

“Believe you me, you and anybody reading this case, should not think that people who attack people in night clubs get off.

“They don’t.

“If people had seen the testimonials that I have read they would understand why I am doing what I am doing, and it is very, very unusual.”

Fay arrived at court with a letter of apology to Mr Hannan, and it will be passed on to him by the Crown Prosecution Service.

Mr Crook said that self-employed Fay was shocked and upset when police showed him the video.

Mr Crook asked for compensation for the victim.

Fay had just arrived in Hartlepool and checked into a hotel before going for a meal and drinking.

Christine Egerton, defending, said that Fay had no recollection of the attack, and when he woke up in the police cells he had to ask what he was doing there.

Fay, of Oak Street, Tyldsley, Manchester, pleaded guilty to unlawful wounding.

He denied wounding with intent, which was accepted by the Crown.

He was given a 12 months jail sentence suspended for 12 months and ordered to pay £3,000 compensation at £250 a month.