A DEVASTATED mum is urging cat owners to keep a close eye on their animals after two cherished family pets were poisoned in the space of three days.
Jillian Carter and her two children have been left heartbroken after a vet told them they were killed after being fed anti-freeze.
She is now warning cat owners in the area to keep an extra close eye on their pets to prevent the same thing happening to them.
Jillian rushed her two year old cat Fluffy to an emergency vets on Sunday after the cat turned up at home staggering after being out.
She thought she may have been hit by a car, but when she took it to a vet in Middlesbrough to be checked over it emerged the cat had kidney failure said to be from poisoning and had to be put to sleep.
Jillian, of Bede Grove, Hartlepool, said: “I thought she had been run over but when I got her to the vets they said she had bene poisoned. They did blood tests and said it was anti-freeze.”
She brought Fluffy home and buried her, but just three days later the nightmare happened again when another of her cats called Pink - which was due to have kittens - came home on Wednesday night suffering from the same symptoms.
Once again they took her to the emergency vet, but there was nothing they could do.
Jillian, 38, a full-time mum to son Taylor, 12, and Millie aged six, added: “I was devastated, especially when it happened all over again.
“It was awful because they are a part of the family. The kids are really upset.” She believes the anti-freeze may have been put out deliberately and police told her they will ask the neighbourhood officers to keep an eye out.
Jillian, who has four other cats, added: “I know people don’t like cats being in their garden but you can’t stop them roaming.
“I just want to warn people and tell them to keep an eye on them because I would hate this to happen to anyone else.”