Child sex accused Hartlepool OAP arrested by Spanish police after disappearing a year ago

editorial image

A FUGITIVE pensioner wanted for alleged child sex offences has been arrested by Spanish police.

Runaway Frank Burgon was discovered in an apartment in Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria, at 12.10am on Sunday, and arrested by two uniformed police officers and a detective.

The 76-year-old was arrested on suspicion of breach of a court order and is currently in the custody of the Spanish authorities awaiting extradition.

An extradition hearing was expected to be held yesterday, the outcome of which is not yet been released.

Burgon, of Field House Farm, in Dalton Piercy, Hartlepool, disappeared a year ago while awaiting trial at Teesside Crown Court for alleged offences of rape, attempted rape, and three allegations of indecent assault against a girl.

He was made the subject of a Europe-wide arrest warrant.

A spokeswoman for Cleveland Police said: “Cleveland Police can confirm that a 76-year-old man was arrested yesterday, Sunday, December 29, by Spanish authorities, on suspicion of breach of a court order.

“He is currently in the custody of the Spanish authorities awaiting extradition proceedings.”

Burgon was due to face a trial in his absence early next year if he was not found, but now it is expected that he will attend the court proceedings, potentially in custody.

The last time he was seen at court was in November last year when he denied the sex charges against him and he was granted bail.

Several trial dates were then fixed at Teesside Crown Court but Burgon failed to turn up each time, the most recent being last month, which was the fifth court appearance in a row he had missed.

Burgon had not kept in contact with his legal team and the trials were put off every time to give the authorities a chance to track him down.

During a previous court hearing, a judge heard he has a boat, or access to a boat, somewhere in the Mediterranean.

It was decided at the latest hearing that the trial would be fixed administratively by the crown court in the new year and was expected to be heard in February at the earliest.