Crackdown on anti-social behaviour in Seaton Carew hailed a success after 49 youngsters targeted by police
Community safety chiefs have said a crackdown on anti-social behaviour in an area of Seaton Carew appears to have been a success.
It comes after issues of anti-social behaviour were reported in Elizabeth Way and the surrounding streets near shops in the area, stretching from the summer to the start of November.
The incidents led to Seaton being the only ward which saw an increase in anti-social behaviour between July and September 2019 compared to the same period the previous year, according to officers.
However action has since been taken in the area by the Hartlepool Community Safety Team.
Rachel Parker, team leader at the Community Safety Team, made up of officers from multiple organisations such as the council, police and fire brigade, said it is an example of problem solving from the team.
She told the Hartlepool Borough Council Audit and Governance Committee incidents have subsided in the area and officers have said they have not reappeared elsewhere in the town.
Action included four dispersal orders being issued in the area between September 21 and November 1, which gives police officers and PCSOs powers to move on anyone over the age of 10 causing, or likely to cause, anti-social behaviour in a public place.
Refusal to comply with the order is a criminal offence.
In total 41 children were issued with an AS13, a form completed by police or PCSOs when someone is identified as being involved in anti-social behaviour.
This then leads to the team looking at if any further action is needed, and led to a number of PCSOs carrying out home visits to the young people involved.
Additionally eight young people were invited in, with their parents, to speak to anti-social behaviour officers and given the option to sign a voluntary behaviour agreement.
A number of young people were also referred to take part in diversionary leisure activities and have been signposted to other similar activities and clubs.
Ms Parker said: “The issues in that area have subsided, the officers in the team are telling me they are not getting repeat reports of ongoing issues there, and so far we are not seeing an emerging issue in another part of the Seaton ward or another ward all together.
“The indications around the work that we have done there is that we have been able to effectively problem solve what was happening there, and hopefully we will continue to see reductions of issues in that area.”