Danger driver who led police on chase was ‘showing off to girls’ he met at party

Martin Daniel Oliver, of Dryden Road, Hartlepool. dob 10/08/1988.
Martin Daniel Oliver, of Dryden Road, Hartlepool. dob 10/08/1988.

A dangerous driver from Hartlepool led police on a high speed car chase to show off to his two female passengers after meeting them at a party.

Uninsured Martin Daniel Oliver, 27, of Dryden Road in the town, who has never passed a driving test, drove at speeds of 50mph in a 30mph zone to get away from officers in the early hours of Saturday, October 3.

The view north up Biddick Lane, near the Arts Centre Washington.

The view north up Biddick Lane, near the Arts Centre Washington.

The father-of-one was seen driving a silver Peugeot 206 in Fatfield, Washington, without its lights on at about 1am, Sunderland magistrates heard.

Prosecutor Paul Anderson said officers began following Oliver after he made a U-turn and sped off onto Vigo Lane.

As the police pursued him, he drove onto Bonemill Lane, past the pubs on the riverside, before driving up the rear lane of Worm Hill Terrace, ending up on Biddick Lane.

Mr Anderson said Oliver, who is unable to work due to depression and a back injury, exceeded 50mph in a 30mph zone, while driving with no lights, through a built-up area.

He then drove along the A195, before turning onto Horsley Road, where the pursuit came to an end when Oliver’s car collided with a kerb and burst its tyre, before spinning into a bollard.

Oliver ran off from the scene, but was later found hiding in a nearby garden.

Mr Anderson said Oliver told police he had made off because he panicked due to having no driving licence or insurance.

When asked how he would describe his driving, he said it was ‘bad’, ‘dangerous’ and ‘reckless’.

Oliver admitted dangerous driving and driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence and without insurance.

Probation officer Paul Grace, who prepared a report into Oliver’s circumstances, told the court: “The vehicle involved was purchased three weeks before the offence, via an online selling site.

“He accepts completely that he has no insurance for the vehicle and only a provisional licence. He knew he shouldn’t be driving the vehicle. The intention was to sell it on for a profit.

“He was attending a party in Washington and he used the vehicle to get there.

“He is at the party and someone suggests they go to a local shop. There is an element of bravado there because he has two females in the vehicle. “

Oliver, has a previous conviction for dangerous driving the court heard.

Jason Smith, defending, said: “It is in excess of two years since the last offending. He made a mistake, he’s taken a risk. He knew he shouldn’t have done that.”

Oliver was sentenced to 10 weeks’ imprisonment, suspended for a year, with up to 15 days of specified activity and a 10-week curfew from 9pm to 7am.

He was also banned from driving for 20 months and was told to pay £85 costs, £80 victim surcharge and £180 criminal courts charge.