Drunk teenager must pay her victims compensation

AN UNRULY teenager has been ordered to pay compensation after carrying out an unprovoked attack on a girl before assaulting a police woman.

The 16-year-old Hartlepool girl, who had downed four litres of cider, also smashed a window at a relative’s house on the same day after they wouldn’t let her inside.

Hartlepool Youth Court heard the defendant, who cannot be named for legal reasons, played a major role in attacking a 15-year-old girl at an east Durham park, along with two other people who received cautions.

Magistrates told her they had considered custody but she escaped with a rehabilation order and was ordered to pay £100 compensation to the victim, £50 to the police officer and £25 to repair the window.

The victim had to be treated at James Cook University Hospital, in Middlesbrough, and the court heard her nose was so swollen it couldn’t be x-rayed.

She also suffered bruising to the inside of her lip, her teeth hurt, swelling to her right eye and scratches.

Describing the lead-up to the attack, prosecutor Paula Sanderson said the girl asked if the victim was “going to call her now?” and the victim asked what this meant.

She added: “The defendant hit her several times in the face.

“The victim said someone tried to pull the defendant off her and she managed to run away.”

The court heard the youth approached the youngster again and began to hit her.

“She said she could feel her hair being pulled and hits to her face,” said Ms Sanderson.

“She fell to the floor and the defendant grabbed her to the throat and she could feel fists and knees by all three girls.”

Ms Sanderson said after the attack that the girl smashed a relative’s window after she was refused entry.

Magistrates were told police arrived to arrest her in connection with the earlier assault.

But while she was in the back of the police van, the court heard she was restrained after refusing to remove a handbag.

The girl lashed out at officers and pulled hair out of a female officer’s head.

The girl admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm, assaulting a police officer, and criminal damage on August 14, last year.

John Relton, mitigating, said part of the reason behind the assault on the girl was that his client believed the victim had bullied her friend.

He said there had been no further convictions since the incidents and her “somewhat chaotic life” was gradually getting under control.