Granddad banned from roads after driving home from Hartlepool pub

Hartlepool Law Courts, incorporating Hartlepool Magistrates' Court.
Hartlepool Law Courts, incorporating Hartlepool Magistrates' Court.

A GRANDDAD has been banned from the roads for 22 months after being caught driving while over the legal booze limit.

Derek Boreland had driven his car to The Rossmere pub, in Owton Manor Lane, where he often goes for a drink.

But instead of leaving his car to pick up the next day as he ordinarily would, he decided to drive it home after receiving news that he may be made redundant from his job as a rigger.

Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court heard that as the 55-year-old was driving home along Stockton Road, he collided with a stationary car as he went to turn into Chez Nous Avenue where he lives with his wife.

Police attended the scene of the incident and a breath test showed Boreland had 88 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.

The legal limit is 35 microgrammes of alcohol.

Boreland appeared before justices and pleaded guilty to drink driving on May 17.

Mitigating Barry Gray said his client was sorry for his actions.

He said: “He does frequent The Rossmere pub, that’s where his local is and where he socialises after work.

“He would normally go there and leave his car and come back for it the following day.

“Unfortunately he broke that habit on this particular night.

“He received a redundancy notice for the first time in many years.

“He was quite depressed about it.

“He decided to take his car home, that’s the state of mind he was in.

“He accepts he made a mistake and he apologises for that.”

Mr Gray added: “He almost made it home when he had a collision with this other vehicle.

“There was nobody in the car. It was stationary.”

Mr Gray told the bench that as soon as the crash happened, his client, who has four children and grandchildren, got out of his vehicle and tried to find out who the owner of the other car was.

“He assumed the owner would be residing in one of the houses nearby,” he said.

“But he was unable to trace the owner and has since been unable to find them despite trying.

“We don’t know anything about the car and we’ve tried to make inquiries but we haven’t been able to establish who is the owner or what happened to it.

“We assume that if the damage to the car had been that bad then we would have heard from the owners.”

Chairman of the bench of magistrates John Taylor disqualified Boreland from driving for 22 months.

He ordered him to pay a £600 fine, £85 court costs and a £60 victim surcharge – a total of £745.