Guest driven to cash machine and wounded in knife-point robbery in Hartlepool, court told

Teesside Crown Court.
Teesside Crown Court.

A man was left with ‘significant injuries’ during a robbery that saw a knife held to his throat in a bid to force him to reveal his bank card number, a court heard.

David Hindmarch, Barry Ingham and David Rutherford, who all deny any wrongdoing, are alleged to have attacked their victim while he was having a drink in Ingham’s home, Teesside Crown Court heard.

Prosecutor Martin Towers told a jury Ahad Shabanzadeh knew two of the men by their first names.

“None of the men were in when he called at Ingham’s address in Sheriff Street in Hartlepool,” said Mr Towers. “Two women were there, and Mr Shabanzadeh was invited in.

“He was having a drink and listening to music when the three men arrived.

“It is the Crown’s case they almost immediately launched a joint attack on Mr Shabanzadeh, threatened him with a knife, rifled through his pockets, and stole cash, a bank card and a mobile phone.

“The victim was asked to reveal the PIN number for the card, but he gave an incorrect one.”

The jury heard Mr Shabanzadeh suffered ‘significant injury’, but was able to leave the house and find a patrolling police officer.

Mr Towers added: “All three men were later arrested and took part in an identity procedure.

“The victim positively identified all three.

“Blood on clothing worn by Rutherford and Hindmarch was later DNA matched to the victim.”

Hindmarch, 36, of Grange Road, Ingham, 36, of Sheriff Street, and Rutherford, 37, of Alma Street, all Hartlepool, each deny robbery on January 19.

In police interviews, Ingham said he had returned home to find his house damaged and ‘people there who should not have been there’, who he ejected.

Hindmarch and Rutherford denied any contact with Mr Shabanzadeh, but changed their stories when the DNA match was put to them.

Both then said they had come across Mr Shabanzadeh when he was already injured, and they had helped him to his feet which was when some of his blood was transferred to their clothes.

The jury is expected to retire to consider its verdict later this week.

The case continues.