Hartlepool girl locked up for stabbing teenage boy

editorial image

A SCHOOLGIRL has been locked up after she stabbed a teenage boy.

The girl armed herself with a knife and went round to the teen’s house before launching the attack.

A judge said she could have been facing a charge of attempted murder after the incident.

Luckily the lad was not seriously hurt.

The girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was sentenced to two years youth detention at Teesside Crown Court after she earlier pleaded guilty to wounding with intent.

It happened after she went to the teenage boy’s Hartlepool home.

Sue Jacobs, prosecuting, said the defendant threw stones at the boy’s house to get him to come outside before attacking him with the knife.

.Miss Jacobs said: “The defendant stabbed the victim in the abdomen causing a 1.5 inch cut.

“Thankfully, it caused no further damage.”

The girl fled the scene after an ambulance arrived and dropped the knife down a drain.

It was later recovered.

In a statement read in court the victim said the attack left him in fear.

The court heard the girl has a number of convictions for violence.

Jim Withyman, mitigating, said she was responding well to intervention by various agencies.

He said: “She has had time to reflect on the consequences of her actions.

“Perhaps she hasn’t seen the consequences of her actions that she finds herself in now.

“Through me she apologises to the victim for her actions and for all the trouble she has put him and her family to.”

On sentencing, Judge Michael Taylor said: “It’s a very serious offence indeed. This could easily have been attempted murder or murder, the line is a very thin one.

“The victim of this is still living with the consequences, he is highly distressed and fearful.

“I have considered whether passing a non-custodial sentence is possibl.

“But this offence is so serious that it’s not possible to avoid custody.”

He also made an indefinite restraining order preventing her from contacting the victim.