Hartlepool man attacked emergency workers during hospital visit to see his mum

A man who was found on the ground in a hospital car park with a bottle of vodka said he was going to visit his dying mother – a court heard.

Monday, 25th November 2019, 6:00 am
University Hospital of North Tees.

John Christopher Ansbro, 49, of Sheraton West Grange Farm, Elwick, pleaded guilty to three charges of assaulting emergency workers and being in charge of a vehicle whilst unfit through drink.

Teesside Crown Court heard that at 6pm on September 27 the Hartlepool man was seen lying on the ground in the car park at the university Hospital of North Tees.

Lynne Dalton, prosecuting, said a witness went over concerned for the defendant, who told them ‘you don’t know the day I have had’.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

She said the witness saw the bottle of vodka and the car door open with the keys in the ignition and took the keys out.

Mrs Dalton said: “He got into the vehicle and tried to drive without the keys.”

She said the defendant started to become aggressive and two security guards tried to restrain him and both were kicked.

The police were called and arrived on the scene.

Ms Dalton said: “The defendant continued his aggressive behaviour towards anyone who was present.

“He took a lunge at the officers and tried to run off from the police.”

She said one of the police officers was kicked three times in the leg, during the incident and Ansbro was taken to the police station where it was found he had 118 microgrammes in 100 millilitres of breath, with the limit being 35.

None of the emergency workers suffered serious injury, but all were in some pain.

Paul McGee, defending, said: “Essentially the issues are one, alcohol, and two, mental health problems, which he has had for the past 20 years.

“He was trying to get to his mother who he believed was going to pass away. Thankfully she hasn’t.”

Mr McGee said since the incident Ansbro has not had alcohol for six weeks and is trying to fight his demons with the help of professionals.

He said: “He is working with all the organisations he can possibly work with.”

Ansbro was given a 12-month community order and told to pay £100 compensation to each of the three victims and £85 costs. He was also banned from driving for 12 months.