Hartlepool man threatened bookies staff after they turned betting machines off when he 'he lost most of his money' and became aggressive

A Hartlepool man started shouting and swearing at staff in a bookies because they stopped him gambling – a court heard.

Friday, 20th December 2019, 6:00 am
Updated Friday, 20th December 2019, 12:22 pm

Dane Antony Hull, 32, of the town’s Addison Road, pleaded guilty to threatening behaviour and possession of cannabis when he appeared before Teesside Magistrates’ Court.

Saba Shan, prosecuting, said Hull was in the Betfred bookmakers in York Road on Friday, November 29, when he started to become angry with staff who alerted the police.

She said he was shouting and swearing at them and also threatening them saying things such as ‘I will have my day with you two’ and ‘I know all about you’.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The case was heard at Teesside Magistrates' Court.

Staff became very concerned about the situation and pressed the panic button in the shop, which immediately notified the police who arrived on the scene and arrested him.

The two bags of cannabis were found on him when he was searched by officers.

A spokesman for the probation service said Hull regularly went to the bookmakers to play on the machines and on this occasion he had been drinking.

She said: “He lost most of his money and staff had turned the machines off because he was getting annoyed.”

The probation officer said he began to get angry because he felt it was unfair they were preventing him from winning his money back.

She added: “He can now see that they did him a favour and prevented him from losing all of his money.”

She said that Hull admitted that he used to smoke cannabis daily, but now only uses it about twice a week. He said he had a problem with alcohol in the past, but now only drinks socially.

The probation officer said Hull suffers from anxiety and depression and admitted to spending too much money on the machines in bookmakers.

Defending, Neil Taylor said: “Dane has been very honest and upfront with the report.”

Hull was placed on a community order with ten rehabilitation days and was given an electronic curfew for 28 days between 8pm and 6am each day. He was also ordered to pay £85 costs and a £90 surcharge.