SERIAL motor menace Peter Owens is facing prison after he led police on a 100mph chase while he was banned from driving.
The 20-minute police chase saw Owens speeding through several villages in what a judge described as being over a “prolonged distance”.
This latest court appearance comes just a week after he came before magistrates for racially abusing a police officer and threatening to drive a lorry into the town’s Avenue Road Police Station.
Owens pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer, using threatening words or behaviour which were racially aggravated, driving while disqualified and without insurance, for which he will be sentenced on October 17.
The notorious offender has a shocking catalogue of crime and controversial exploits.
In January last year, he was given a suspended jail term after being found guilty of threatening to stab a car wash boss and set fire to the business after he claimed the car wash had damaged the wheels on his S-type Jaguar.
In September 2012, Owens, who has more than 70 previous offences to his name, was caught driving five high-powered 4x4 cars – all without insurance – and was banned from driving for three years.
In May 2012 he was at the centre of a six-hour stand-off with armed police when he drove his Land Rover on to the beach and in and out of the sea at Seaton Carew after a row with his wife Barbara.
In 2009, he was given a lenient sentence at Teesside Crown Court for a baseball bat attack because of health problems connected to his size.
Owens has also achieved national notoriety for scrounging from the system previously telling the Mail that he bought a quad bike with cash left over from a £1,000 grant he had been given to redecorate his house, and bragged about how much money he received in benefits.
The 44-year-old dad-of-three and step-dad-of-four appeared at Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court last week for his latest criminal escapades.
The latest offence saw Owens drive dangerously through villages in North Yorkshire after he was caught behind the wheel of an MGZR car.
He had been banned from driving for three years by Hartlepool justices in April last year for a string of motoring offences.
And he carried out his latest offence just weeks after flouting his driving ban in another vehicle.
Owens, 44, appeared at Teesside Crown Court yesterday where he pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and driving while disqualified from February 17.
On that day he topped speeds of 100mph through the villages of Knayton, Borrowby and Cleveland Rein, near Thirsk.
The Recorder of Middlesbrough, Judge Simon Bourne-Arton, said: “He drove in this manner on February 17 at speeds over 100mph over a prolonged distance.”
The court heard the chase lasted about 20 minutes before he was finally stopped.
Owens’ lawyer Nigel Soppitt said: “He realises in the fullness of time he will face a custodial sentence. He knows that.”
Mr Soppitt said of the dangerous driving: “He was on medication at the time and doesn’t have a great deal of recollection of it.”
Owens, of Miers Avenue, Hartlepool, also admitted other charges of driving without insurance and failing to stop for police on the same day.
Judge Bourne-Arton granted Owens bail until his next appearance at the crown court on Friday, November 28.
He also imposed a curfew between 9pm and 7am.