Hartlepool motorbiker broke both legs when he ploughed into family car just seconds after two children got out of the vehicle

A drug-driver ploughed his motorbike into a family car just seconds after the children had got out – a court heard.

Tuesday, 24th December 2019, 1:21 pm

Leon Christopher Adams, 21, appeared at Teesside Magistrates’ Court in a wheelchair having broken both his legs in the impact on Sunday, September 8.

Adams, from Forres Walk in the town, pleaded guilty to drug driving and driving without due care and attention. He also admitted driving without a licence and without insurance.

Rachel Dodsworth, prosecuting, said the car had pulled up outside a house in Easington Road and as the children were going up the steps into their grandmother’s house, the bike ploughed into the back of the family BMW.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The case was heard at Teesside Magistrates' Court.
The case was heard at Teesside Magistrates' Court.

She said the driver was dropping his children off at their grandmother’s house at around 6.10pm and he and his wife were still in the car with the engine running, about to pull off, when Adams struck.

She said: “He said he had been literally parked up for about 30 seconds. The children had already got out the vehicle and walked up the steps to nana’s house.”

Ms Dodsworth said the couple were about to pull away when the driver spotted two motorbikes speeding towards them in his rear-view mirror, he believed they were doing at least 60mph.

She said one pulled out to pass him, but the other was heading straight for the car and he only had time to say ‘what is he doing? He is going to hit us’ when the bike swerved hit the pavement and ploughed into the car throwing Adams across the boot.

Ms Dodsworth said: “Mr Adams landed on the pavement and was screaming in agony and was saying ‘sorry, I’m sorry’.”

She said the car driver could see the defendant was badly injured and tried to help him while his wife phoned emergency services.

The solicitor said ambulance crews arrived and a police officer said he could smell cannabis on Adams while the paramedics were treating him, which he later tested positive for.

She said when he was interviewed some time later Adams said he was unable to recall the collision, but said it was 100% his fault.

Adams, who was not represented, said: “I shouldn’t have been riding the bike that day and it was my own fault and I apologise for riding that day.”

He was banned from driving for 18 months and was fined £120 and ordered to pay £85 costs and a £32 surcharge.