Hartlepool thief back in court after completing just one hour of unpaid work

editorial image

A THIEF who completed just one hour of unpaid work as part of his sentence has been ordered back before a court.

Craig Parvin, 21, Hartlepool, was sentenced to 16 months custody suspended for 12 months as part of his punishment for two incidents of handling stolen goods and a theft.

He was also ordered to carry out 180 hours of unpaid work after admitting the charges at the town’s magistrates court and being committed to Teesside Crown Court for sentence.

But he was put back before crown court after he breached the order by only completing one hour of work and failing to attend appointments on two dates in December.

The court heard he had completed a curfew that was also imposed.

Recorder Michael Slater was told one of the stolen goods charges was brought after a PlayStation, Xbox and other items had been taken in a burglary at 6am on March 7 last year, with Parvin attempting to sell on the goods at a Cash Converter at 5pm the same day.

He also admitted handling stolen goods on December 23, 2013.

Nigel Soppit, prosecuting on behalf of the Probation Service, said he was also charged with theft which happened on March 5 last year after a stolen iPhone was found in his flat when police carried out a search following his arrest.

Parvin, previously of Jacques Court and now living with his partner in Skelton Street in the town, admitted breaching his sentence.

Paul Abrahams, mitigating, said: “He has not achieved the unpaid work, which is lamentable, with just one hour completed, which clearly doesn’t leave me with much ammunition in respect of mitigation.

“For a long period of time he was exempt from unpaid work because he was suffering from anxiety, but the suspended sentence has been achieved in so far as it has stopped him from offending.

“The order is not workable. People who come before the court generally don’t have a reputation for people who are well balanced and have a work ethic and are complex characters who are sometimes respond to different stimuli.”

The recorder re-sentenced Parvin to 18 months, suspended for 21 months with a supervision requirement for handling stolen goods on March 7 last year, to five months suspended for the same period for the second charged of handling stolen goods and two months suspended for the theft, all to run concurrently.