Hartlepool yob who attacked four cops after making threats to car and allotment is spared jail

Nathan Philip Watson outside Hartlepool Magistrates' Court.
Nathan Philip Watson outside Hartlepool Magistrates' Court.

A yob attacked four policemen who were sent to arrest him after he threatened to torch a man’s allotment and smash his car up.

Nathan Philip Watson kicked and punched the officers as he fought to avoid being arrested, Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court heard.

The 24-year-old narrowly avoided being sent to jail because the judge said that Watson needed help for mental health problems.

Prosecutor John Garside told how Watson went to the home of Alan Innes, in King Oswy Drive, Hartlepool, at 7.30am on November 6 and shouted for his son to come outside for a fight.

Mr Garside said: “Mr Innes opened the window and told him his son didn’t live there and to leave.

“Watson swore at him and said ‘I’m going to smash your car up, I’m going to burn your allotment down’.

“Police went to his home address, when he resisted arrest and assaulted four police officers.

“He was punching and kicking and caused injury to all four officers. Effectively, the police jump in to restrain him.”

Their injuries included soreness and reddening, and it was said that one officer was left with teeth marks, bruising and grazing to his left forearm.

During the hearing, Watson stormed out of the courtroom when he objected to the claim that he had bitten one of the officers, and returned after he had calmed down.

And the court heard he kicked a door, breaking its window, when the probation service tried to interview him for a sentencing report.

He pleaded guilty at an earlier appearance to four counts of assaulting a police officer, one of criminal damage over a bird bath he damaged during the incident in King Oswy Drive, and a public order offence.

Stuart Heywood, mitigating, said: “He is seeking help himself. He referred himself to Roseberry Park, in Middlesbrough, after the incident.

“He has a further appointment in Church Street, which in the past has led to further help for him. He just wants some help.”

Watson, of Friendship Lane, on the Headland, Hartlepool, was given eight weeks’ prison suspended for 12 months and ordered to pay a total of £200 compensation to the police officers and £50 to Mr Innes.

District Judge Martin Walker said: “I make it clear, if it wasn’t for your mental health difficulties I almost certainly would have given you prison, but I’m not because you do need help.”

“It was a frightening experience,” he added.