A YORKSHIRE terrier left with this horrendous eye injury was refused treatment by heartless Ryan Young while she was in his care.
Irresponsible Young, who had been left to look after the pet which had numerous other injuries, did not take the suffering animal to a vet after it suffered the eye injury in a dog attack.
The RSPCA found Princess Armani’s left eyeball was falling out of its socket after apparently being attacked by a Staffordshire bull terrier in Young’s home.
She also had a bad skin infection believed to have been caused by boiling water or hot oil being spilled on her and was emaciated.
An RSPCA inspector said it was the worst injuries she had ever seen to an animal.
Young, 22, was banned by Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court from owning any animal for the next 10 years and given a suspended jail sentence.
He was found guilty in his absence of five counts of neglect at an earlier hearing.
Prosecutor John Ellwood said Young had caused “extreme suffering” to Princess Armani and his behaviour was “nothing short of disgraceful”. The court heard how Young was left in charge of the dog, along with two Staffordshire bull terriers and two cats after his ex-partner left him last November.
A friend of his ex-partner rescued the dog from Young’s house in Borrowdale Street after she saw the state she was in on January 14.
The owner called the RSPCA which found the dog’s eye was falling out of its socket and the surrounding area swollen.
She also had large areas of skin damage that was bald and scabbing.
Princess Armani also had a slightly twisted jaw that was likely to have been there since birth and she had teeth missing from excessive movement.
RSPCA inspector Clare Wilson said: “It was an awful case to deal with. I have never seen an animal with such horrendous injuries.
“You’ve got to wonder how she got those injuries. It was awful somebody could let that happen to a dog.”
Young claimed his housemate told him the eye injury happened after one of the Staffordshire bull terriers attacked Princess Armani and dragged her around when Young was out.
But Young later claimed it had happened by the dog scratching itself and he put a plastic collar on her.
It was also claimed the dog’s skin condition was caused by bathing it in perfumed water.
The court heard he did not take the dog to a vet because he believed the treatment would cost up to £1,000 and she may get put down.
John Relton, mitigating, said Young, who tried to treat the skin condition himself with powder, was in court because of his “limitations” rather than a deliberate criminal act.
He said: “He believed he was doing the right thing and fell short.
“It is very hard for my client to feel the full weight of justice on his shoulders because others should be here too.”
Young, now of Windermere Road, Hartlepool, was given six months prison suspended for 12 months with supervision.
Magistrate John Jenkins told him: “This is a unpleasant and serious case.
“Princess was subject to prolonged suffering. You had a duty of care to her.”
Young was also ordered to pay £260 costs.
Thankfully, Princess Armani has made a full recovery and has been rehomed.
“She is a happy dog and I’m sure she will be fine from now on,” added Inspector Wilson.