Jailed: Raiders who burgled disabled man’s home – forcing him home from holiday

(l-r) Stephen and David Gibson, and Christopher Bowlt
(l-r) Stephen and David Gibson, and Christopher Bowlt

A disabled burglary victim had to fly home from a holiday in the sun when he learned his home had been ransacked.

The 42-year-old, who receives Disability Living Allowance and has been seriously ill, was enjoying a welcome break in Spain when his mum contacted him to tell him his house in Musgrave Walk, Hartlepool, had been raided during the night.

I’m deeply upset they could do this to me

Burglary victim

The three burglars – Stephen Gibson, his brother David Gibson and Christopher Bowlt – were jailed for just under eight years at Teesside Crown Court yesterday.

The victim said he knows the Gibson family and said: “I’m deeply upset they could do this to me.”

They were caught on the victim’s own CCTV cameras going in and out of his home three separate times on the morning of February 12.

They emptied drawers and cupboards before making off with an iPad and computer, as well as power tools, watches, PlayStation games console, aftershaves, and decorative swords.

The victim’s mum discovered the mess when she checked on the house.

The home’s CCTV revealed that just after 2am, a man, later identified as Stephen Gibson, 39, had entered the backyard and tried to spray the camera with an aerosol can before breaking in. He was followed by his brother David, 36, and Bowlt, aged 32.

They spent 40 minutes in the house at first before leaving but returned twice the same night and leaving with bags full of property.

When police went to speak to Stephen Gibson they found some of the stolen goods stashed in a bin, kitchen cupboard and in his bedroom.

But property the thieves took, valued at £2,000, has never been recovered.

In a statement read in court the victim said: “It totally ruined my holiday and I wanted to get on the next plane home.

“My bungalow was trashed, there was no need for this damage to have been caused.

“I have been in and out of hospital and have been seriously ill. The Gibson family know me and know my health issues. I’m deeply upset they could do this to me.”

Stephen Gibson, of Goodwin Walk, Hartlepool, was jailed for 33 months, while his brother, of Church Street, got 32 months and Bowlt, also of Church Street, 30 months’ prison.

Judge Peter Armstrong said: “This was a ransacking case. I have seen the mess you made, a right mess.”