Jailed: The drunk thug who kicked a police officer in Hartlepool

Teesside Crown Court.
Teesside Crown Court.

A drunken thug who punched and kicked a police officer who was trying to arrest him has been jailed for 16 months.

Lewis Macalister attacked PC Adrian Dack following a domestic dispute with his mother, Teesside Crown Court heard.

“The officer was called to Bowness Close in Hartlepool,” said Jenny Haigh, prosecuting. “The incident with the defendant’s mother was calmed down.

“A short time later the officer was called to some disorder at the Stag and Monkey pub.

“Macalister was identified as being involved in that.”

The court heard Macalister punched PC Dack in the face while the officer was speaking to him outside the pub.

“Further violence followed,” Ms Haigh added. “There were three more punches, each of which connected. The officer’s vision was blurred momentarily, and both men fell on to a grass verge.

“There were more punches and kicks to the mouth and head, pushing the officer’s head violently backwards.

“Despite the officer’s radio ear piece being ripped out, he managed to call for emergency assistance.”

The court heard PC Dack suffered cuts, bruising, a chipped tooth, and injuries similar to whiplash in a car accident.

Macalister, 21, of Jutland Road, Hartlepool, admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm on March 2.

He has 27 previous convictions, including offences of violence and assaulting a police officer.

Martin Scarborough, defending, said in mitigation: “Mr Macalister has a problem with losing his temper while in drink.

“He knows that is something he must learn to control. His life has moved on since this incident, he has a new partner and they have a four-month-old son.”

Judge Simon Bourne-Arton jailed Macalister for 16 months. The judge told him: “You have a bad record for such a young man.

“This was a sustained attack which has had a lasting impact on your victim, who was a police officer doing his public duty. Anyone tempted to behave in the way you did must expect immediate custody.”