Man smashed window at Sunderland takeaway because he thought his kebab was burnt

Best Shawarma, Holmeside, Sunderland
Best Shawarma, Holmeside, Sunderland

A man threw a rock through the window of a Sunderland takeaway because he thought his kebab was burnt.

John Tingle ended up facing a court charge after seeing red over his takeaway.

The 50-year-old had previously denied causing £600 criminal damage to the Best Shawarma fast food restaurant in Holmeside, but was found guilty in his absence at Sunderland Magistrates’ Court.

Sarah O’Neill, prosecuting, said Tingle was found by police officers lying down inside the restaurant after smashing the main window of the shop with a rock following a row over burned lamb on June 17.

When interviewed, Tingle told police he went back to confront the owners of the shop and demand a new meal after the lamb kebab he was served was burned.

Tingle told police: “I was in there as a customer and when I was served the lamb was all burned, so I went back in and said ‘look at it, it’s all burned mate. I want a new one’. Then I got loads of grief off of them and was told to get out of the shop.”

Tingle said he himself called the police on their 101 number but said it was a ‘waste of time’ as he couldn’t get through so he decided to put a rock through the store window instead as a way of solving his problem.

Tingle said he was a customer at the Best Shawarma fast food restaurant in Hartlepool and had not had any problems with his meal there before.

“They are reasonable guys,” he said of the staff at the Hartlepool branch during his police inter-

During his police interview, which was read out in court, Tingle was asked whether this solved his problem.

He replied: “No but I felt better. I wouldn’t say I was acting recklessly.”

Tingle did not turn up to the latest court hearing and was not represented.

The court heard how he has 36 previous convictions including those for being drunk and disorderly and for not paying train fare.

Magistrates found Tingle, of Marina View, Church Street, Hartlepool, guilty and a warrant has been issued to remand him at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court to be sentenced.