Man who tried to steal drills from B&Q spared jail

editorial image

A MAN has been spared jail after attempting to steal over £300 of goods from a DIY store.

Adrian Shane Golden went into B&Q, off Brenda Road, in Hartlepool, pushing a trolley.

The 32-year-old picked up some concrete and cement, before reaching up to a top shelf for some unsecured drills, worth a total of £341.

The defendant then found a fire exit and ran out of it, before throwing the goods and scaling a 7ft fence to escape.

Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court heard how the criminal was spotted by security and was quickly caught and brought back to the store.

Prosecuting, Sarah Traynor told justices: “It was 3.20pm when the defendant went into B&Q pushing a trolley.

“He selected some cement and concrete and then noticed some drills on a top shelf which were not secured down.

“He picked up some of the drills and walked to a fire door, pushed the door open, ran out with three of the drills before jumping over a 7ft fence. He was caught by security and brought back to the store.”

She added: “He said he had been to the doctors who had refused him a prescription for methadone.

“That put him in a mood and he was already in a mood because £600 had been stolen from him, he said.

“He said he found the expensive drills and noticed some on the top shelf that weren’t chained up and took them and made off.

“The items were recovered in a saleable condition. He does have issues with drugs that he wants to seek help with.”

Golden, of Ventnor Avenue, in the Rift House area of Hartlepool, pleaded guilty to theft on November 4, and also breach of a conditional discharge.

Mitigating, John Relton said he was released from prison on October 22 and went to live with his mum.

“He won some money which put a spring in his step but the money was stolen from him. My client has revealed to me his methadone use, and certainly on this occasion it was an attempt to try to raise money for drugs.”

Chairman of the bench Kate Brown sentenced him to 28 days imprisonment suspended for six months, and ordered him to pay £85 costs and an £80 victim surcharge.