THE murder trial of former Hartlepool boxer Mark Denton is due to continue today.
Mark, 31, lost his life after being attacked at a house party in Hutton avenue, Hartlepool, on New Year’s Eve.
Half-brothers Anthony Middleton, 21, and David Sowerby, 24, are accused of jointly attacking Mark with a camping axe.
More witnesses will be called to give evidence for the prosecution at Teesside Crown Court this week.
They are expected to include a man who the prosecution say the defendants forced to drive them away from the scene after the incident.
The trial got underway on Wednesday last week when the jury heard shocking details of 55 injuries that Mark suffered.
The jury were told Sowerby “had revenge in mind” after a run in with Mark over a woman at another house party in October when Mark is said to have knocked Sowerby to the ground.
Witnesses so far have included Mark’s older brother Craig, Mark’s girlfriend Sarah Kinnie, who attended the party with him.
Party organiser Dean Shadforth told the jury the two defendants calmly walked out of the house covered in blood.
The DJ for the night also gave an eye witness account of how he says the attack unfolded and developed.
Police and paramedics rushed to the house after getting a call that someone had been stabbed at around 10.15pm on December 31.
But the prosecution say he had been repeatedly attacked with an axe and tragically died from his injuries within the hour.
The jury have been told of Mark’s prowess as a successful amateur boxer.
He fought as a middle weight for the Headland boxing club and had many victories.
He turned professional in 2008 and won his first and only fight before he suffered a wrist injury.
Middleton, of Bruntoft Avenue, and Sowerby, of Allerton Close, both Hartlepool, deny murder.
• Follow our regular trial updates on our Facebook page, on Twitter @HPoolMail or by logging on to www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk website.
Previous reports from the murder trial: