Men cut free from suspected stolen car after police chase on outskirts of Hartlepool

The scene of the incident on the A1185 near Wolviston
The scene of the incident on the A1185 near Wolviston

TWO men had to be cut out of a suspected stolen car following a chase by police.

Officers say they started to pursue the Seat Altea car on the Seal Sands Road, on the outskirts of Hartlepool.

It failed to stop and the pursuit carried on towards Billingham on the A1180 road.

It finally came to a halt though, when the alleged stolen vehicle rolled over and ploughed into a lamp-post on the A1185 road, which heads towards the Wolviston roundabout.

The crash sparked a full emergency services response with four fire engines from Cleveland Fire Brigade turning out, as well as ambulance paramedics arriving at the scene around 8.30am on Monday.

The two men inside the car had to be cut free by firefighters with specialist cutting equipment.

They were taken by ambulance to the James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough.

The pair were released from hospital after not suffering any serious injuries and have been taken into police custody. They were arrested on suspicion of aggravated vehicle taking, driving without a licence and without insurance, dangerous driving, and driving whilst unfit through drugs.

Officers were forced to close the road, causing traffic chaos for other road users who had to find alternative routes to their destinations.

A spokeswoman for Cleveland Police said: “The A1185 near to Wolviston was closed following a single vehicle collision. The suspected stolen vehicle was being pursued by officers before it collided with a lamppost at around 8.15am.

“Two men aged 21 and 30 have been arrested.”

A spokeswoman for the North East Ambulance Service said: “We received a call from one of the patients saying a car had rolled over on this road.

“An ambulance arrived on scene within eight minutes.”

A spokeswoman for Cleveland Fire Brigade said: “We were called to the incident at 8.28am to reports of an accident involving one vehicle.

“Four appliances – one from Hartlepool’s Stranton Fire Station, one from Billingham and two from Stockton – were called to the scene. We extrictated two casualties and they were taken to hospital by ambulance. We left the scene at 9.38am.”